WordPress was originally designed as an open source content management system (CMS) and blogging tool. But a constant increase is noted in the number of developers using WordPress for web application development. Despite being used widely for internet application development, WordPress actually works as a foundation, and not a framework. As foundations are applications, you can extend WordPress into a variety of applications. However, it is also important to be familiar with the do’s and don’ts, while creating web applications with WordPress.
7 Do’s and Don’ts when Building Web Apps with WordPress
1) Do Cache All Data: You can deliver richer user experience by caching all information on the go. WordPress allows you to store plug-in ‘options’ for a specific amount of time through the API (Application Programming Interface). For instance, if the data have to be updated at a gap of 30 minutes, you can use the option to set the cache for the specific amount of time. The feature will help you to save resources by not requiring the data to be reloaded fully each time.
2) Do Load Your Scripts and Libraries only Once: Often developers have to load external files, while creating and customizing WordPress themes and plug-ins. But the performance of the web app will be impacted if the scripts and libraries are called up twice. You can use a simple function called wp_enqueue_script to register and load scripts and libraries only once. In addition to saving your time, the function will further boost the application’s performance.
3) Do Use Plug-In to Transfer Content into Your App: You have several options to pull your WordPress website content, and transfer the content into the application. However, you can always consider using plug-ins to create apps by using your website content. Unlike RSS feed, plug-ins are not a standard web format. But you have option to choose from several custom made plug-ins to add features to your app, while pulling the website content into it.
5) Do Optimize the App for Search Engine: Nowadays, most users gather information about web applications through search engines. So you must enhance the visibility of your application on major search engine results pages (SERPs) to get more visitors and increase its popularity. WordPress allows you to use plug-ins and scripts to make the search engines love you internet app. These options further help you in implementing a search engine optimization (SEO) plan without knowing the topic extensively.
6) Don’t Incorporate Excessive Third-Party Services: You can always enhance the performance of your web application by incorporating third-party services. But you must remember that the third-party services can affect the speed and loading time of your application adversely. For instance, developers often integrate the application with several social networking platforms to draw more and regular visitors. But when too many services are stacked together, they will need more time to get loaded. The additional loading time of the services will further make the application slow. So you must include only relevant services, while ensuring that they are not stacked together and used sparingly.
7) Don’t Forget to Update the Content: Major search engines frequently update their search algorithm to deliver fresh and relevant information to users. So you can enhance the visibility of your web application on search engine result pages by updating the content on a regular basis. The fresh content will help the search engines to find you app, and divert more visitors. The content update along with SEO plug-ins will make your web application popular within a short span of time.
You can hire developers from top wordpress development companies in India who can help you build products within allocated budgets and time schedules.